Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mexican Rice

I love this Mexican rice. It is simple to make and delicious. To save time I'll use my rice cooker and run errands while the rice is cooking up.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
3 cups water
1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded lettuce

Directions:
1. In a saucepan bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Stir in taco seasoning, kidney beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and lettuce.
3. Cook over medium heat until heated through.


You can make this rice for under six bucks if you shop right. Pick up some tortillas and you have the fixings for a good leftover burrito. I also like to sprinkle a lot of Mexican Cheese blend on top of my rice so I have a sort of Mexican Salad.

No comments: