Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Amateur Gourmet


I just finished reading an Advanced reader's copy of The Amateur Gourmet: How to Shop, Chop, and Table Hop Like a Pro (Almost) and I enjoyed it. It was by no means the best written book about food ever but I have read much worse. The author visits such topics as knives and knife skills, eating out, shopping, and cooking for family. Every chapter includes recipes that relate to one of the recipes he talked about in that chapter.
The author runs the Amateur Gourmet blog and the writing does reflect that blog style of writing. . .quick, witty, and occasionally without substance but that is okay because the flaws in the book are outweighed with the positives. I would recommend this book to anyone who is just getting into the whole cooking and creating better food life (like me). There is a lot in there that is relatable but it would have been better without some of the overblown food descriptions.

No comments: